75 Years Ago

Thu Jun 6 12:51:54 EDT 2019

All

Thanks for the kind words. I also recommend the book The Bedford Boys by Alex Kershaw. One small error about the N&W train.

Jim, the fellows in the Pacific, and my father was one of them certainly did not get the credit they deserved as well, but part of that is it was not as much individual combat as Europe. was. Since it was air war, naval action and enough horrific ground war

My time over the last 10 years or so was also devoted to some World War II veterans. My wife and I worked with several groups to present these guys to the public. I designed autograph sheets with their period pictures and their names on them, and my wife printed them up, so they would have copies to sign at various events. We made them rock stars, if only for a short time. The initially were not willing to talk about a lot, but after time, and age, they began to talk, and it is truly heartbreaking. My father was much the same way

One comment that every single one of these guys said was “I’m no hero, the hero’s are the ones who didn’t come home.”

Out of all the World War II guys we had and worked with, only two are left now, neither in good shape. One whom fought in Italy, Bastogne and ended up in Berlin as head of Eisenhower’s honor guard, the other a B-24 pilot. It was and is a remarkable experience to talk with these men. I just regret I did not start years ago.

As I said, if you see a veteran out, no matter what background they have, please go over and thank them for their service

Ken Miller