BATFR

Thu May 30 10:13:01 EDT 2019

Being the bastard at the family reunion can be difficult if you’re the guy who is supposed to be the boss.  This was the situation Stuart Saunders found himself in when he went to Philadelphia to run Penn Central.  He had nobody on his side, and he couldn’t cope.  When he was president of the N&W he had folks in the transportation and operating  departmenst, motive power department, engineering and signal departments who were loyal to the N&W and would run the railroad well for anyone.  He didn’t have that on PC.

I went to work for the Seaboard Coast Line not too long after their merger.  Before, the two principal railroads (Seaboard Air Line and Atlantic Coast Line) had been bitter competitors – each begruged the other every carload they handled.  But some bright lads in Jacksonville turned these combative folks against a common foe – the Southern Railway.  There were pockets of resentment, but all in all they were pretty well unified.  So it could be done.

Just sayin’

- Ed King