N&W 7902 - Expanded to a Question about NKP & Wabash

Sun May 26 06:16:47 EDT 2019

IMHO, the 1964 merger was both defensive against a changing economy and
an offensive step to get to a PC merger.  While not the backbone of NKP
traffic, the iced reefer and livestock trade was leaving the rails, and
that was hurting. The auto industry was moving out of Detroit and
hurting the WAB. Both were seeing the onesy/twosy local traffic
evaporate. The N&W was faced with new coal fields being opened up in
countries that had not been players in that trade. All carriers needed
longer hauls and a different traffic mix to be viable.

     To get to a PC merger, the PRR needed to divest itself from the WAB
and N&W. The NKP had to be there to show some level of competitive
routes to the NYC portion of the PC system.

     The result of an expanded N&W was a learning experience for all,
and hot always a happy one. Whoever was in charge anywhere, had to try
to adapt to a changing market. And some (not all) hidebound managers ran
roughshod trying to carry out the best guesses of what to do next from
headquarters. On the NKP, we were stunned that 80-100 car fast freights
were being filled out to 150-200 car drags. And the workers at Bellevue
were puzzled on why we needed a hump yard there.

     It was a big mess for a while. Then things stabilized and the N&W
started to see it was overinvesting on the N&W and underinvesting on the
NKP/Wabash. Once that realization was embraced, things started to get
better.

     WJPowers

---
https://www.avg.com