N&W 7902

Fri May 24 05:29:33 EDT 2019

This was one of 4 Nickel Plate Baldwin AS16 model road switchers ordered
as pairs in 6 months apart in 1953. Originally numbered 320-324, they
were set up with controls compatible with EMD  and ALCo power. Delivered
to Brewster, the worked West End High Balls (Brewster-Toledo) until
their poor reliability let them down. In 1959 the NKP sent two to EMD
and two to ALCo for conversion to something more reliable (or known how
to maintain by the shop crews). They came back to the Wheeling & Lake
Erie District where they stayed until the 1964 merger. In Pevler blue,
found their way to Bellevue (where they had been visitors on Wheeling
road trains that made set offs in that yard) where I worked on them in
engine service. They were paired with an EMD or ALCo counterpart and
slogged around the hump. The cab was small and set up for long end lead,
the only such on the NKP. Other than the cab, they were just like any
geep or RS we had.

WJPowers

On 5/23/2019 9:06 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> What in the world is this? Looks to be part Baldwin, part EMD, part Alco.
> 1974 Cleveland OH. Weird.
>
> Sorry for the 'borrowed' copy but had to ask.
>
> John Garner
> Newport VA

---
https://www.avg.com