Railroad in U.K.

Wed Apr 24 06:46:51 EDT 2019

Peter, here is some info from a friend of mine from England, hope it helps.  Ted Cutler
The Institution of Locomotive Engineers merged with the Institute of Mechanical Engineers in 1969 and became the Railway Division. All of their records including scientific papers are now part of the National Archive and are housed at the Institute of Mechanical Engineers which is on Birdcage Walk, London.

The National Railway Museum is at York which is about 150 miles north of London. There is also a smaller museum at Didcot which is only about 30 miles from London and easily accessible by rail. It is mainly representative of the western railway the Chief Mechanical Engineer of which was Isambard Kingdom Brunel whose broad gauge of 6’ 8” lost out to George Stephenson’s 4’ 8 1/2” gauge which then became the standard for the world. I’m not sure that there are any other museums in London or Liverpool.

The link fo the archive is below.

https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/search/locations/18f343ab-e617-3963-a24d-6bf2c9f33c08

To Our Members in the U.K.
Are there any "must see" railroad museums in Liverpool or London you could recommend? How about Dublin, Ireland?In 1915 there was a well established organization in London called the Institution of Locomotive Engineers which my great-grandfather was admitted membership to even though he was a U.S. citizen. It was still meeting in the 1940s. Does it exist today? I want to visit their archives if they have any. My great-grandfather presented at least four papers before that august group between 1915 and 1925 (while living in London) and won an award for one of those papers. I believe he many have even served on some kind of executive committee.
Thank you for your consideration.
Peter
Peter R. R. GetzRockwall, Texas