N&W 120Ton Wreck Crane and others...

Tue Apr 23 16:51:53 EDT 2019

Here’s a screen snap shot of Google Street View for 1421 Shenandoah Avenue NW with ex VGN B-37 in the center:

Rob Doorack

Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2019 3:29 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: N&W 120Ton Wreck Crane and others...

With Steve's mention of the VGN Crane sitting in the yard east of Shaffer's, I did a little Google Maps exploring to locate that crane.

If you bring up the street view of Shanendoah Ave and look toward the yard as you are sitting in the middle of the intersection with 15th street, you can make out the VGN Crane. It is sitting between two heavyweight passenger cars of unknown vintage. One may be a mail/baggage car ... FYI, I don't "spot" them very well  and don't discern them without a little reference look up.

All of the old equipment sitting around the crane does indicate this could be a VMT "extra" storage area.

Now that we have established VMT did not give up 514908 for scrap in return for the VGN Crane (was actually traded for two other cranes), then if I could locate the N&W 514908 my little research will be complete.

Thanks to all and looking forward to a trip to Roanoke in little more than a week.

Kevin Byrd

Chesterfield, VA