Lofton, Vesuvius, or ?

Mon Mar 25 13:32:32 EDT 2019

On 3/24/2019 10:36 PM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List wrote:
> Please see the attached photo of N&W 414 which appears to be on a wye.  A Shenandoah Division employee timetable indicates there were wyes at Lofton or Vesuvius.  Can anyone determine the location based upon the building partially in view and the general topography?
Frank,

     From everything that I can find, before the line was double
tracked, I think that the wye was at Pkin. Maybe part of Pkin spur. You
might look at drawing #C10490 in the archives. Here is a topo map still
showing the spur.

     After the double track was installed, the wye track was moved to
Lofton. It was maybe a quarter mile or less north of the road crossing,
going off to the east side. There was also a crossover installed in the
area. The wye was located in the upper right corner of this photo, where
the wide line of trees meets the RoW.

Jimmy Lisle