Decoding the Truck Classes

Sun Mar 10 01:11:04 EST 2019

I have a copy of the 1975 N&W General Manager Motive Power and Equipment
List reprinted by the Society some years ago. In the equipment lists, truck
classes are provided. But no descriptions or decoders are included for the
truck class numbers. Is there a cross reference that describes builder and
type for a given class number? And are these codes N&W specific or are they
an AAR code?

Specifically, I have ordered a B-121 boxcar kit from Cannon & Co. I have to
supply a pair of trucks. The equipment list specifies that the B-121's had
T175 class trucks (with 6"x11" roller bearing journals). But to be as
accurate as possible I would like to find what the T175 truck is and then
what is the closest HO model available. I would have the same question on
some of the other classes, but this is my current puzzle. I searched the
archives for T175 and got a hit on the Letter of Approval for the B-121
boxcar. The data may be in there, but I wonder if there is a class list for
trucks similar to the equipment list? Or has there been an article written
on the subject?

Thanks for any knowledge that you can send my way.

Don Trettel