1218 Feedwater

Wed Feb 27 16:46:39 EST 2019

There certainly have been good discussions on feedwater heater pumps
based on this excellent top view of the 1218, but I'm surprised that no
one has questioned the opening in the boiler/smoke box jacket
immediately behind the smokestack, obviously giving access to a bolted
smoke box cover (Archives drawing NW-C33710).  I say that I'm surprised
because I can not see comparable openings in the few suitable views
photos of other Class A loco's with jacketed smoke boxes that I have
been able to find.  So, this appears to be a modification to 1218 only.
Any thoughts?

Gordon Hamilton

On 2/24/2019 3:18 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> Mike -
> The A class engines used a Worthington 6-SA feedwater heater system.
> There was a turbine pump under the left side of the cab to provide the
> cold water and there was a hot water pump under the left running board
> at its forward end.
> All the Js and the Y-6bs used Worthington SA systems. N&W had hundreds
> of engines equipped with the earlier Worthington BL feedwater heaters,
> which appeared under the left running board and incorporated the pump
> and heater in one casing.  The Worthington systems were very efficient
> and dependable and, AFAIK, N&W never used feedwater heater systems
> from any other manufacturer (Elesco, Coffin, etc.) nor did it feel it
> necessary to build its own.
> Ed King

---