over fire jets. WAS External reducing valves

Wed Feb 13 22:09:46 EST 2019

I have seen 2 styles of OF jets. One was like a round can with the line running into the middle. They were not flush but stuck out from the side of the firebox. The other style I've seen more often it the one shaped like a portable fire extinguisher. They all seem to be mostly arranged in a random pattern on the firebox with the can ones often in a straight line. The longer style is usually random placement and often they are at different angles to each other.
If they were operated as an eductor or ejector I doubt if those are mufflers but the venturis to create the flow.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works