Mullens motor barn

Wed Jan 30 16:08:10 EST 2019

I discovered by happenstance that scans of a bound volume of all the 1927
issues of "Railway and Locomotive Engineering" are available online at
archive.org. The November '27 issue has a four page article on the then -
new "Electric Locomotive Maintenance Shop of the Virginian." The very
interesting article has a couple of photos of the shop, a track plan for the
shop and the adjacent area, and a detailed floor plan for the motor barn
complete with dimensions. This building has a special significance to me. My
mother's uncle was the long time principal of Mullens High School and mayor
of the town for at least one term. He took my brother and I to the motor
barn once and I have a memory sitting in the engineer's seat of what was
probably an EL-C. Anyway, the bound volume is here:

https://archive.org/details/railwaylocomotiv40newy/page/1

The motor barn article is on pages 310 to 314. If you select "one page view"
in the buttons in the lower right, right - click on each page, and select
"save image as.," you can download the individual page scans.

Rob Doorack

North Andover, MA