Past Holiday Traffic

Thu Nov 29 14:19:42 EST 2018

Bruce

Express coach is probably a term. The N&W had several classes of passenger cars that were devoted to Express service, Ea, Eb, Ec and perhaps Ed at the time. Like most everything of that era, information is somewhat spotty and limited. Based on the N&W RR diagram sheets I’ve seen, the Ea was a single car, 48 foot long, number 237 and either off the roster or renumbered by 1894. Could have been destroyed in a wreck as well. Records, as I say are pretty spotty. the Eb and Ec were roughly 60 foot cars, and the Ed was a 65 foot car and those remained on the roster until the late 1920s when some were converted to MofW cars or were part of the wooden car retirements in 1932-33. The roster data is from Jim Brewer’s rosters available on our website.

When express business became more of a rush, the N&W did what they always would do, adapt. They would convert boxcars to express service by adding marker brackets and steam and signal lines. They built or converted (not quite sure which) the Ef series of express steel cars in the early 1930s.

Regarding the several tons of dressed fowl, could have come from a variety of places.

Ken Miller