Building Made of Coal in Bluefield, WVa

Thu Nov 29 12:52:08 EST 2018

Folks,

I need a little help with my memory.

I recall as a child, in the 60's and early 70's, visiting family in
Bluefield, WVa. I remember seeing a building on a street corner in town
that appeared to be made from blocks of black coal. My father told us kids,
yes, it was made of coal. He had spent much of his child in Bluefield. I
can't recall what else he told us about the building.

I believe the building was on a street corner down near the N&W yards. I
don't recall what street ... it did face the yard ... I think.

Does my memory serve me well? Did this building exist? Does it still stand?
Where is/was it located and what was its purpose? Was it an N&W office or
support facility?

FYI. I haven't visited Bluefield in 30 years and that was likely the last
time after my childhood visits

Thanks to all for any info.

Kevin Byrd
Chesterfield, VA