Abingdon Update

Fri Nov 2 10:59:57 EDT 2018

Or used to be gold-plated. This was nearly 40 years ago when I was an Assistant Trainmaster in Sandusky, Ohio when we discovered one night that the non-gold-plated CTC between Bellevue and Sandusky had an issue where it was possible to knock down the CTC signals for a move from Bellevue while making a move that did not require permission (CTC track circuits extended beyond the end of CTC territory). Had to calm down an irate Bellevue trainmaster (CTC was controlled by Bellevue operator under that trainmaster’s supervision) who was insisting I had to pull a crew out of service.

I actually was not surprised. I had seen the model board and knew it showed that circuit beyond CTC. Plus WB moves beyond the end of CTC were governed by a very dumb automatic signal that showed Restricting at all times unless that circuit was occupied in which case it showed Stop and Proceed. But EB moves (which was the case in this situation) had no signal - this was a move on a main track within yard limits and not in CTC or an interlocking which at least at the time did not require permission.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com