WHO WERE THEY ? -- #80 -- Paul Scherer - N&W

Mon Oct 22 08:33:56 EDT 2018

Immigration agent had one or more of the following tasks. He would work
with the steamship lines and other RR's to divide up arriving immigrants
heading inland. In some ports it was done on percentages of arrivals. In
other ports the railroads were paired up with one or more steamship
lines, the RR getting 100% of the incoming persons on those water
carriers. Another task was to create brochures in various languages that
were supplied to brokers in Europe that bought up steerage space at
discount on ocean liners and then filled the rooms with immigrants
paying book rates. Some immigration agents traveled abroad to promote
the area the RR served and thus generate business for the carrier in
terms of passengers and the freight the immigrant helped produce.

     WJPowers

On 10/21/2018 9:09 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> I have to ask - what would an immigration agent do?  Handle the ape
> twirl of those already here or go abroad and recruit (and handle the
> paperwork)?
>
> John B. Stroupe
> Memphis, TN (at the west end of the N-S)
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Oct 20, 2018, at 10:26 AM, NW Mailing List
> <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org <mailto:nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>> wrote:
>
>> SCHERER, PAUL, Immigration Agent Norfolk & Western Ry in 1901.
>> Office Roanoke, Va.  Born in Berne, Switzerland. In 1886 was chief of
>> public engineering office at Zurich, Switzerland; 1887, chief of
>> passenger office Swiss Northeast Rd; 1890, editor of a daily Swiss
>> paper; Nov. 15, 1891 to date. Immigration agent Norfolk & Western Rd.
>>

>> <<  This concludes the listing from the 1901 Biographical Directory.
>> With the next installment, we shall move back to the 1887 edition of
>> the Directory.  >>
>>

>> - abram burnett,
>>
>>      DIY, Inc.

---