Daniel Montague Junkins

Sat Sep 22 11:36:06 EDT 2018

Abram,
I have a little info on Daniel Montague Junkin but not much of it is about his railroad career. The reason he isn't in the 1922 biographies is because he died 16 April 1920 in Roanoke, at which time he had been a resident of that city for fifteen years and appears to have been employed by the N&W all that time.
He was born 17 May 1868 in Christiansburg, Virginia. He married Katherine T. Wade on 11 October 1892 at the age of 23 years.
In 1870 his father, George G. Junkin, was a rail road clerk in Christiansburg [don't know what road], eventually becoming an attorney and finally a judge. I believe one of Daniel's brothers was an attorney for the Santa Fe with offices in Chicago. The 1906 Roanoke city directory lists his occupation as "train master N&W" with a home address of 1203 Chapman Ave SW. That was his address until 1914 when they moved to 906 Campbell Street SW. 1917 address: 1231 Wasena Terrace SW; 1919 address: 370 Highland Ave. SW where he died from a five year battle with chronic myocarditis. His death certificate says he was a railway yard master. He was buried in Evergreen Burial Park, Roanoke, 18 April 1920.  Often his occupation was listed as "terminal" train master N&W.  He and his wife, Kate, had at least eight children, 7 daughters and one son, Daniel Montague Junkin, Jr. (the youngest). When his brother Garnett Booker Junkin (chief clerk in the military department at Santiago, Cuba) was married, Daniel served as best man and their brother, the Rev. William Junkin officiated. They may have been living in the Bluefield area in 1901. He may have held the rank of Captain but I am not certain about hat. He would have been too young for Civil War. I guess, railroad-wise, all I have is his fifteen years with the N&W, 1906-1920 as a train master.

Peter Getz