Whale oil delivery to Marion, VA

Wed Aug 22 08:15:31 EDT 2018

Gentlemen,

     The Pacific Whaling Company was a traveling maritime display. It
consisted of several convertible flats & gons along with a baggage
car/kitchen and sleeper. The star of the show was a @50' dead whale. It
was preserved with lots of salt and embalming fluid. Also on board were
various stuffed or preserved sea creatures from penguins to sea turtles.
A small team of actors pretended they were captains and mates. They told
the story of high seas adventures - all made up. Some enjoyed the work
so much that they dressed as sea going officers for their remaining
careers. For a dime, locals had several days to follow their noses to
the display and see the marvels. PWC insisted that their troupe always
traveled as an addition to a first class train, or as a special movement
on freight only trackage. This endeavor was especially lucrative during
the depression, as the outfit set up next to a downtown depot rather
than out at the fairgrounds. It was easy for the city dwellers to get to
it, which infuriated the other carnivals that were not allowed in center
city.

     WJPowers

On 8/22/2018 7:12 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> All I can say is that there were pretty darn few whales located in
> Elizabethton, Tennessee.  It’s located about thirty miles southeast of
> Bristol in the heart of the mountains.  It was on the old Virginia and
> South Eastern part of the Appalachia Division of the Southern Railway
> and was abandoned some time in the 1930s.  Elizabethton was also on
> the East Tennessee and Western North Carolina (Eat Taters and Wear No
> Clothes) that connected with the Southern’s Knoxville Division at
> Johnson City.  Number 65 was a freight train on the V&SE.
> Ed King

---