Two Rod and Valve Gear Questions

Thu Aug 9 07:15:23 EDT 2018

Good morning,

The whole debate about poppet valves rumbles on. They were claimed to be more efficient and variable to make the most of the steam expansion. The maintenance costs may have been hobbled because of the lack of familiarity with the design and operational requirements. There were some concerns over the high back pressure and these might have been overcome if the sentiment against further steam loco development had not been so strong

One of the  Pennsy T1s was re-fitted with an external cam drive and I believe the project to build a new T1 is adopting this technology set. The NYC had a single Niagara fitted with poppet valves but did not seem to find favour. I believe the CB&Q also fitted one of their 4-8-4 locos with poppet valves and the UP had a design concept (FEF 4) that also featured this equipment.

The Caprotti valve gear was used on a number of late build UK locos. The most notable is the Duke of Gloucester which has a three cylinder arrangement and has proved to be a very powerful locomotive since it was rescued and re-built.

Phil Mortimer