North Fork tank

Wed Aug 8 19:52:55 EDT 2018

Jim,

Sorry I'm late. As Alex and Ken wrote, there was a 100k tank on the side
of Toney Hill and two standpipes near the station that could accommodate
engines on both mains and the North Fork Branch/Byrd Yard lead. Pushers
and helpers returning to Eckman could take water here if Eckman Yard was
congested. The North Fork passenger job would lay over in Byrd Yard
during the day and boarded passengers on the yard lead just east of the
standpipe--it and the North Fork mine run could both take water here
between runs up the branch. The night job could take water here while
delivering Keystone (empties from Byrd Yard as in the slide), while
working Algoma, or while working the various packing houses nearby. In
the slide, the 2100 with the cab on the pilot is likely the North Fork
mine run (V1) out of Bluefield. I suspect smaller tanks located on the
top of Toney Hill were for the local water utility.

Grant Carpenter