Two Rod and Valve Gear Questions

Wed Aug 8 03:54:03 EDT 2018

Good morning,

One problem with the Garretts was that they lost weight as fuel was consumed with a negative impact on adhesion over long runs which was less of a problem for Mallets. A further problem was the relatively small water and fuel space. The water space issue was overcome by using an additional water tender/tank similar to those used on the N&W large Mallets.

The short fat boilers had great steam generating capabilities. Some late series Garretts were used in Australia for moving large coal trains on curvaceous track configurations. The design found most favour in South and East Africa where some were oil fired and had the Giesel exhaust fitted.

I think there are other “speculative” designs around for larger Garretts as options for North American services.

Regards

Phil Mortimer