What are railroad brasses?

Mon Aug 6 14:31:03 EDT 2018

This one really got me by surprise. My first thought for a definition for railroad brass was those members of the railroad company with the word president in their job title.
We knew the brass in charge were not the brass in the shell casings during my Navy days.

Hard to believe a block of brass will support a loaded railcar. You would think the alloy would be too soft.

Howard Leedy