a question about drawings in our archives

Mon Aug 6 10:20:48 EDT 2018

Phil

Indeed all the original drawings, prior to the introduction of CAD on the N&W, which I’d guess would be sometime in the early 1980s. The drawings were all done by hand, with ink, compass, square, triangles, and the other usually instruments. Calculations done by hand or with slide rule.

Complete speculative design on the N&W was not common to my observation. There was a lengthy process done long before drawings were even considered from what I understand. The designers did not just go off onto a tangent with speculation, it had to be requested by someone or suggested by a higher up before someone would spend time on a project. I’m sure that if a designer had an idea, he would take it to the manager in general terms, and if the manager felt it was an idea with merit, he could tell the draftsman to proceed with some sketches. If it was an adaptation of a commercially available product, most likely they requested drawings or details from the company producing, and created drawings from that.

An example of a speculative process is:
http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=98098 <http://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=98098>

This was for a underground tunnel at Christiansburg to allow passengers to reach a platform on the normal westbound track. This idea probably came from a division person is my guess. They saw how operation was done crossing westbound trains over to the normal eastbound for a station stop at Christiansburg. The logic was that might simplify operation by allowing eastbound coal and freight to continue downgrade without have to be in the clear for a westbound passenger train, and the subsequent movement to get the westbound passenger train back over to the normal westbound track. It might have also allowed elimination of a crossover and its subsequent maintenance and signaling. Obviously, there is no clue to any of this on the drawing. Someone thought it might be a good idea, had the drawing done, took it back and it was discussed among the operating department, maintenance of way, division engineers. Probably a cost estimate was drawn up based on the drawing and then determined that the cost of actual construction and inconvenience of it probably determined its fate.

So what was done here? No idea if they decided that it was OK for passengers to cross the track to use the center platform, or if operation of westbound passenger trains making a station stop on the normal eastbound continued to be the standard of operation. This drawing, having not seen the original, appears to be a pencil sketch rather than a fully inked version, so it never went the full length of production.

Ken Miller