What Race Horse Said About His Automatic Block Signals in 1924 (Bristol Line)

Fri Jul 20 16:29:41 EDT 2018

     I recall some story I saw in print that may have involved an N&W
passenger engineer, or maybe not. It seems when automatic block signals
were cut ino on his division, his fireman fireman called out clear
blocks as they went west from origin, but some miles out he called out
"approach". The engineer did not take steps to reduce speed, telling the
fireman that he was running a first class train and those signals are
for everyone else. Rear end collision happened moments later, with the
engineer going to his grave with that opinion perhaps changed.

     WJPowers

On 7/20/2018 3:52 PM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> Short article by Race Horse Smith about the benefits of installing
> automatic block signals (semaphores) between Roanoke and Bristol.
>

> Tach'mint.
>

> -- abram burnett

---