Bridge 322 Q

Tue Jun 19 06:50:54 EDT 2018

Mr. Pierry & Co. LLC,

Fathers, Elders, Nobles, Members of the Ruling Class, and Old Railroad
Degenerates :

That photo of Bridge 322Q is outstanding !  It is an absolutely beautiful
piece of stonemasonry, and a top drawer piece of photography, too.

Fifty plus years ago, when I was running on the Bristol Line, I always had
an eye out for signs of line relocations and, if memory serves me
correctly, I don't think I ever saw any (save the obvious one, at New
River.)

This photograph, however, just screams out, "Line Relocation!"

Look at the back wall of the bridge, to the right of the arch.  See that
projection sticking outward from the stonework, somewhat darker than the
surrounding stonework?  That is almost certainly a previous bridge back
wall, left in place, and with newer stonework laid up around it.

If this is correct, then a curve has been taken out of the original
alignment at this point and the roadbed raised about 8 to 10 feet.  And if
that is the case, there are probably the remains of a matching bridge pier
on the opposite side of the creek.

I think Mr. Bundy should be given a big bottle of mosquito repellant and
sent to do a little stomp-in-the-weeds investigation...

-- abram burnett

                  Sent to You from my Telegraph Key
Successor to the MAGNETIC TELEGRAPH LINE of 1844