Younger members

Sun Jun 3 16:10:17 EDT 2018

 Perhaps if there were someway the existing membership could relay the one or two key things that caused them to join would help. In my case it was the N&W STEAM power ! However my age allowed me the privilege of watching mallet power in their final years, setting the stage for a possible life member !    On Sunday, June 3, 2018, 3:42:04 PM EDT, NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:

 I think one problem is that the societies in general just do not get the word out to the general public of their existence.
Advertising in any rail magazine would be a great start, but why not run adds in some local newspapers in cities along the main lines.
I know that would be a great task, but members along the main lines could get an advertisement item from the society to post in a local newspaper to try and draw some local people to the society.
I am sure there are members who would pay for that add in a local newspaper, my self included, to get the word out to areas where the N&W ran whether active still or not.
I know of a couple of young men who is all over the N&W Cincinnati district, and railroads in general, and really enjoys the things that I share with them.
I know this line is now leased to the Cincinnati East Terminal, but you cannot deny its history, and that is what draws a lot of people to the societies.
I had left the society a few years ago because it seemed that the Virginia's side of the N&W was all the society was interested in doing.
That has changed, and I rejoined last year with a vengeance.
I have been getting anything I can from the archives on the Cincinnati district.
I began getting items for the original line from Mineral Springs to Plum Run Quarry and Peebles. I had documented this area in 2008, and didn't realize all the items the archives had in store. Just seems this is a part of the Peavine that there is not a lot know, and probably not even written about.
It was this search that got me interested in the bridges of the Peavine, which I have been collecting items, and studying survey maps and such from the society.
I want to document all the bridges on the Cincinnati district, if nothing else for historical purposes. Who knows how long the east end of this line will exist, and any bridges not in use be taken down, as was the bridge in Cincinnati some years ago by the Proctor & Gamble complex..
I share my ideas with several other people and it keeps their interest in the line going.
More articles on the different segments of the N&W including out side of the Virginia's may help society members get out and explore, ask people that live in the areas about some history, and perhaps get some new members.
I documented all the signals on the Cincinnati district some years ago, and got into places I would not have otherwise gone to, just the fact of the distance to get to some of the signals from a public road. It took 2 years to complete the task.
Two last thoughts are to reach out to past members and see if perhaps they would want to rejoin. Perhaps give a discount to first time members. That may be a deterrent to some people joining. I am and was a sustaining member because I understand the importance that extra money provides for the society.
Not going to apologize for the long rant, but wanted to put my thoughts out there.

Jeff Wood