Group photo at Spencer, NC shops

Fri Jun 1 23:55:33 EDT 2018

To all,

  The perception of the photograph is an accurate reality of our society and many other similar organizations.  I would venture to say that, at age 47, I am one of the youngest members so it is hard for me to disagree. This matter has been recognized by the Board of Directors and Officers.  During the past year and a half, we have taken new actions to be more attractive to people of an age that actually remember the N&W and, most importantly, the 18 to 30 year old crowd.

  The aforementioned actions include a greater presence at model train shows, advertising the society and commissary in Model Railroad Hobbyist, embracing Norfolk Southern and including model railroading under the society umbrella. The latter of these actions are in their infancy and we deduce that in order to attract the 18 to 30 year old demographic we must “dangle a carrot” and the carrot is model railroading and Norfolk Southern.  It shall be stated that despite rumors, our society will not switch its sole focus to model railroading and Norfolk Southern nor has such an idea been entertained.

  Remaining relevant to our sole mission of preserving the history of the N&W and we “senior” members is equally critical. The Board of Directors decided to produce The Arrow in house with Ken Miller at the helm. One  goal with doing such is to have more engagement from the members in the form of articles, articles of someone’s recollection on the mainline, equipment, structures, etc., anything that pertains to the history of the N&W.

  These actions will require work on behalf of all of the Board of Directors and Officers.  Each director and officer has their strengths and each have been tasked with particular areas of focus based on such so we can move forward.  Will it happen overnight? No.  We are all volunteers and have regular jobs and families that take priority. However, each individual has the desire to accomplish the goals that lie before us.

  To conclude, the society has begun a capital campaign drive.  Funding is needed for the aging archives building that is need of repairs and is also becoming quite small for our needs.  It is our hope for a new archives building in the future. This campaign has begun with the simple step of selling “Clear Block to the Future” shirts which will be a modest start.

  Please do not hesitate to contact the officers and directors with any suggestions.  We welcome all ideas.

Regards,

Todd Arnett, President