Group photo at Spencer, NC shops

Thu May 31 16:33:02 EDT 2018

Wel, this is the topic, at least in both rail history groups that I am part of the BOD.

Since one of our folks is very involved with Railcamp, it has been a solid sell out for the last number of years, but limited on size due to costs, and personnel involved. But it is well attended. Roanoke Chapter NRHS has sponsored attendees for the last several years and once again has a camper there this year. The Chapter does provide a gratis membership to that young person, but we’ve only had one that has actually maintained their presence.

Interestingly enough, when you go out to see 611 run the last three years, young people were all over the place. Most had cameras that were not inexpensive. So, the interest in steam seems to continue. But, these younger people are not joining established groups, they go on facebook, snapchat or whatever might be the social media of the day is. Modeling seems to be still an activity for younger folks, at least as best I can see.

There needs to be some solid answers to that question, what can groups like ours do to attract younger people?

All suggestions welcome.

Ken Miller