Slides Taken at Roanoke, Summer 1962

Wed May 30 17:37:51 EDT 2018

These are nice.  Thanks for sharing.

Todd Arnett

Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 7:01 PM
To: N&W Mailing List
Subject: Slides Taken at Roanoke, Summer 1962

I have put up on Google Drive scans of the 1962 slides recently discovered.  All taken around Roanoke station, and all apparently on the same day (processing date on the slides was Sept 1962.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13FjxzG7xo5XBfR-WwucNqL_oUBERBfHG

Buying and processing slide film was a seldom-affordable luxury for this 16-or-17 year old kid.  I probably never shot more than 5 or 6 rolls of color in all.

The slides all had color shift due to changes in the emulsion, so there is a lot of Photoshop work in these edits.  Plus, they were the work of a young kid with a new camera, who had little idea what he was doing.

Also, to save a bunch of separate Emails, I have put up on Google Drive the following:

Articles pertaining to the development of the Position Light Signal:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PgtjCL7I7bNKFxAd7zvt_oJ-PPNfyWT1

Articles by Dr. William Churchill, the premiere optical engineer at Corning Glass at the time light signals were being developed:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BnYZidCFyl1vJyNRCUkvH1ivW5AnLXZq

And finally some scans B&LE slides put out by Blackhawk Films in the late 1950s-early 1960s.  I think a box of ten slides cost $1.25 and postage was something like 15 cents.  They also sold N&W slides, but for some reason I never acquired any.    Mr. Wiley and Attorney Sandermann will salivate when they notice the VGN gon in the second image.  I never realized how absolutely CRUMMY the Blackhawk products were, until I got them open in Photoshop.  (May the All Holy Supreme High Powers of the N&W List forgive me for even mentioning the BL&E in  this list...)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Sbp8HZRcxYmq7oeX7-2k-YPwsOaQ_fMc

   -- 73 SW &

(abram burnett)