Locomotive Cab Rides

Sun Apr 8 10:41:58 EDT 2018

Jack,
That must have been a neat experience. I liked the H16-44's but to have done a similar thing in an N&W steamer would have been much better.
As to "turnouts" vs "switches" all I can say is those are the 2 words for those things and it always seems whichever one I use people listening want the other one. Like when I was working for the airline all those long years. I worked "swing" or "evening" shift a few of them. When talking about it to others no matter which term I used the other folks would come back with the other one. Just can't win! Obviously both words get the message across. lol
Lets keep the reminiscences coming as they are neat to hear.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

Back in the 50’s, when I was a child and growing up in South Norfolk, I had an occasion or two to ride with an uncle, who was a hostler, around the Norfolk and Western Lambert’s Point Yard.  I remember the excitement I felt when the fireman opened the firebox to shovel in coal.  We went to the ash pit to dump the ashes, we went across the turntable to the roundhouse, and I watched as coal and water was loaded on the tender.  I don’t remember a lot of the details, but I remember it was a lot of fun for a small child, me!!

It also occurs to me that in those days, turnouts around the Lambert's Point Yard were called switches!!

Jack​