Locomotive Cab Rides

Fri Apr 6 17:19:47 EDT 2018

Jeff,

As I recall the cab ride on the EL-2b, it was very smooth, not just
because of the weight, but I suspect also because of the four trucks
under each unit.  Another thing that impressed me was how high the cab
was above the ground compared with the diesel road-switcher cabs that I
was more familiar with.

Incidentally, I just realized that I omitted one cab ride from the list
that I sent out.  That was in the cab of a Baldwin diesel on the Durham
and Southern from Durham to Apex, NC, and return.

Gordon Hamilton

On 4/5/2018 11:00 PM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List wrote:

> Gordon. Great story!
> I've heard you mention several of these thru the years, but not most
> of them.
> Thanks for sharing! If it was anyone but you,  I'd say it was
> bragging, but that's just not you.
> BTW, how did the EL2b ride? I'd guess pretty smooth. With 1M pounds on
> drivers!
>
> Thanks, and keep your reminisces coming.
>
> Jeff Sanders
>

> Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
>
>     On Thu, Apr 5, 2018 at 2:43 PM, NW Mailing List
>     <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> wrote:
>
>     Recently, I was reminiscing about some locomotive cab rides that I
>     have enjoyed down through the years, and I realized that some of
>     these cab rides were so unique that brief accounts of them likely
>     would be of interest to Mailing List readers and warrant listing
>     them here.  Another reason was that this might stimulate others to
>     post accounts of equally unique, or more unique, cab rides they
>     have had.  I would be disingenuous if I did not admit that I am
>     bragging here about the uniqueness of some of the cab riding
>     opportunities that I had.
>
>     The following locomotive cab riding accounts are in no particular
>     order:
>
>       * N&W 2300, steam turbine electric, "Jawn Henry," from Shaffers
>         Crossing Roundhouse, Roanoke, VA, to Boaz Siding where it
>         pushed a train over Blue Ridge grade, but suffered a component
>         failure (I forget what, but probably a feedwater pump) and had
>         to limp back to the Roundhouse.  But, hey, it counts as a cab
>         ride in my book.
>       * N&W streamlined K2 or K2a (I forget which) passenger
>         locomotive, 22 miles from Meadowview, VA to Bristol, VA.
>         Although it was not a long ride, it is probably more rare or
>         unique than cab rides on N&W 611 in excursion (which I never
>         experienced, unfortunately ).
>       * Former VGN EL-2b electric locomotive, 133 miles on empty
>         hopper train from Roanoke to Elmore, WV.
>       * Former VGN FM "Assistant Trainmaster" H-16-44 diesel
>         locomotive on time freight Elmore to Roanoke.
>       * N&W GP-9 "Red Bird" diesel passenger locomotive on Powhatan
>         Arrow, 128 miles from Roanoke to Crewe, VA.
>       * SOU RY F3a diesel locomotive on No. 18, the Birmingham Special
>         being detoured over N&W Shenandoah Division account SOU's Tye
>         River bridge destroyed by Hurricane Camille.  The F3a
>         locomotive cab was shared with the N&W engineer and fireman, a
>         SOU Road Foreman of Engines, Bruce Sterzing (later president
>         of D&H RY) and John Rehor (who wrote the monumental book, /The
>         Nickel Plate Story/).   About 146 miles out of Roanoke (near
>         Stanley, VA), No. 18's progress was blocked by a derailed
>         "double-barrel" (crew-speak for a train with a pusher) coal
>         train ahead.  The locomotives were coupled on the other end of
>         No. 18 to go back to Waynesboro, VA, to get on the C&O Ry, but
>         Bruce and I got off in Shenandoah and rode a caboose back to
>         Roanoke.
> [...]

---