AM&O RR - Question about Allegheny Station (NW Mailing List)

Sun Feb 18 22:49:08 EST 2018

Stephen,

As I wrote earlier, both the V&T RR schedule in the June 1868 Official
Guide and the N&W RR schedule in the June 1893 Official Guide did not
list an Alleghany, or Allegheny, station, but both schedules did list a
Shawsville station, so your conclusion about the naming of the
stereoview for the resort instead of the actual station name makes sense
to me.

Gordon Hamilton

On 2/18/2018 12:12 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for the responses on Alleghany Station. Since
> everyone indicated that this was the Shawsville Station, it makes
> perfect sense to me that the travelling New York photographers would
> name it the way they did (speaking to Bruce's point that they named it
> in error). I happen to know the E&HT Anthony Company also issued a set
> of stereoviews from Allegheny Springs at the same time as this AM&O RR
> set. Makes sense to me that they'd name the station for the local
> landmark/destination.
>
> So now I have to add that to the pile of future topics I'd like to
> write an article about....
>
> Stephen Warren
> Roanoke

---