2018

Mon Feb 5 20:59:55 EST 2018

Thanks for all you've done for us!

Jeff Cornelius

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Mon, Feb 5, 2018 7:26 pm
Subject: 2018

In 2005 we had a lively discussion on Virginian Enthusiasts Yahoo group about the few pictures of Virginian's equipment that appeared on railroad picture calendars produced at that time. After some consideration and encouragement from the group members, I took the leap of faith to produce my own all Virginian Railway picture calendar, using pictures from my own collection as well as those from a few others. The Virginian calendar for 2006 was my first and the current edition, 2018, is my 13th and final effort. I also ventured into N&W land and produced N&W calendars using pictures from my personal collection for 2017 and 2018. Likewise, 2018 is my final N&W edition.
I have enjoyed this journey and hope it has been something those who are interested in the old Virginian have found worthwhile.
I am grateful to the many friends who have shared their wisedom, pictures and resources to make these publications what they are.
Aubrey

Ray:
Lack of passenger patronage  ?-- that's a good question.  Nos. 9 and 10 usually ran
with five head-end cars and a coach.  I know that back in December, 1956, No. 10
spent about 20 mins. at Wytheville exchanging Christmas mail, REA traffic, etc.
After discontinuance  of Nos. 9 and 10, I believe head-end traffic was transferred
to Nos. 45 and 46.   In the cycle of J-class locomotives, since No.10 topped off at Vicker,
the engine laid over at the station in Roanoke for several hours, but didn't go to Shaffers
Crossing for service.  EdK: Is this correct ?

Two related observations:
Seven minutes between Kinney and Montview ?  True, the connection isn't that
long, but there's something railroaders know as "padding".  Remember, a train
can't pass a station before the time listed in the time table, so at times, a few
extra minutes are added to make the train's arrival at the crew-change point look
better.
                                                                         Harry Bundy
1.