actual date of Link recordings at Rural Retreat

Thu Dec 28 12:19:37 EST 2017

Good afternoon from the UK

The 2300 has been a longstanding focus of interest and a persistent “if only” object of a lot of reading and research. I think the N&W came within a whisker of a breakthrough in modern coal fired steam traction and it was mundane aspects such as proprietary items including feed water heaters and pumps that constrained its performance. Being a one off was also a big mark against it.

I wonder if having a driving cab on the tender to delete the requirement to turn the loco could have worked. Also the addition of traction motors to the tender might have boosted starting tractive effort. I suspect the sentiment was against this type of pioneering technology set and that diesels were seen as the way forward.

Phil Mortimer