Barytes, East of Bristol

Thu Dec 14 15:19:02 EST 2017

That excellent description of what Yard Limits really means leads to a story. I only spent a couple of years with N&W having started in a management training program and then being sent to Sandusky, Ohio as an Asst. Trainmaster.

At that time (1980-81), the main track leading to Sandusky was CTC controlled by the Operator at Bellevue (by TT, it was WB from Columbus through Bellevue to Sandusky). CTC ended about 1/4 mile from the first yard switch (which divided the receiving and departure sides of the yard). The last 1/4 mile had a “dumb” automatic governing it WB (showed Restricting if the track was clear, Stop and Proceed if it wasn't) and nothing EB as you headed out of the yard towards the CTC home signal. Unfortunately, as we discovered one night, the signal system and Rule 93 weren’t quite in sync.

On the evening in question, the Yardmaster needed to get a yard engine from one side to the other and sent them out on that 1/4 mile of main to do so. Perfectly legal per Rule 93 (note however that within CTC territory or interlocking limits, permission was still required to use a main track). Unfortunately this night, the operator at Bellevue had lined up a WB move towards Sandusky very early even though the train was a good 30 minutes or more away from Bellevue. Crew made their move and a few minutes later, the phone rang with the Bellevue Trainmaster on the line. “Pull that crew out of service. They must have gone by a red signal and knock the WB signals down.” “Not so fast” said I. I knew that thanks to that “dumb” automatic, there was block detection on that 1/4 mile of track and having seen the model board at Bellevue, thought it would show there but it never occurred to me it would know the CTC signals down since it was outside CTC limit. Calmed him down, had him ask the operator if ever saw the block light east of the CTC home signal on (he hadn’t), explained my theory that the signal system, seeing a train enter that 1/4 mile of single track, protected against it despite it being legal, and he finally agreed nothing really happened requiring action and that the signals weren’t quite right for that situation.

I was surprised this hadn’t happened before but it was pretty rare to send a yard crew from one side to the other out there (and would never be done if we had a WB coming that was already past Bellevue) and couple that with the Operator clearing the signals WB well in advance, it was just the intersection of two rare events.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com