Translation sought of '50s era terms - and Elwood J. Higley

Mon Dec 11 13:11:49 EST 2017

Even numbers? No. It’s been over 35 years but I still remember some of them. Some odd numbered stations I recall - 10129 was Crewe, 10451 was Williamson, 10563 was Portsmouth, and 10767 was Sandusky. Through Columbus, I believe they used the mileposts (from Norfolk) but Columbus to Sandusky, reflecting its ex-PRR heritage, had the mileposts start over at 0 but the station numbering continued from Norfolk.

Anther series I recall was the ex-NKP Buffalo to Chicago which was 00xxx with miles from Buffalo: Bellevue was 00248 and I believe Calumet Yard in Chicago was 00510 (I spent most of my time in Sandusky so that’s the area I particularly remember).

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com