SOULE, Richard H. - N&W Supt Motive Power - More Information

Tue Oct 24 10:00:18 EDT 2017

On Mon, Oct 23, 2017 at 1:20 PM,
​abram
 wrote:

> I have been unable to develop the curriculum vitae  of Charles S.
> Churchill, President of the Association of Engineers of Virginia, but his
> paper shows him to be quite well informed on railroad practices of the
> day.  However, I seem to recall his name being connected with the N&W in
> some fashion.  Can anyone give a bio for Mr. Churchill ?

​Churchill was quite connected with the N&W, serving as chief engineer and
rising to Vice-President in charge of Purchases, Real Estate and Valuation.
He joined the N&W in 1887, was retired in 1926, and passed away in Jan. 25,
1934 (although no obituary was found in a newspaper search). See details
below.

Bruce in Blacksburg

----

N&W Annual Reports

On May 1st, 1913, Charles S. Churchill, Chief Engineer, W. S. Battle, Jr.,
General Claim Agent,
and J. M. Rodgers, Statistician, having been relieved from their duties to
act as a Valuation
Committee, the following appointments were made: Joseph E. Crawford, Acting
Chief Engineer;
J. B. Baskerville, Acting General Claim Agent; and W. B. Moss, Acting
Statistician.

June 30, 1913  Pg. 17

----
The work has reached such a stage that the Valuation Committee has been
dissolved and the further work of valuation has been placed in charge of
Charles S. Churchill,
former Chief Engineer and now Assistant to the President.

June 30, 1914   Pg. 16

Effective March 1st, 1914, the organization of the Valuation Committee was
dissolved for
reasons already stated. Charles S. Churchill, Chairman of that committee,
was appointed Assistant
to the President with immediate charge of all physical valuation of the
Company's properties under
the federal law; W. S. Battle, Jr., resumed his duties as General Claim
Agent and J. M. Rodgers
resumed his duties as Statistician. As of the same date, J. E. Crawford was
appointed Chief
Engineer, J. B. Baskerville was appointed Assistant General Claim Agent and
W. B. Moss was
appointed Assistant Statistician.

Pg. 17

----
Charles S. Churchill, formerly Assistant to the President, and in charge of
Federal Valuation
work, was elected a Vice-President of the Company.

Dec. 31, 1918  Pg. 19

----
Other appointments, effective March 1st, are as follows: Vice-President in
charge of Operation,
A. C. Needles; Vice-President in charge of Traffic, T. S. Dayant;
Vice-President in charge of
Finances, E. H. Alden; Vice-President in charge of Purchases, Real Estate
and Valuation, Charles
S. Churchill;

Dec. 31, 1919  Pg. 19

----
On September 30th, 1926, pursuant to the Company's Pension Regulations,
Charles S. Churchill,
Vice-President in charge of Purchases, Real Estate and Valuation, was
retired and that office was
discontinued.

Dec. 31, 1926  Pg. 18

----
Richmond Dispatch, Volume 1903, Number 16144, 20 January 1903, pg. 2

ROANOKE, VA., January 19.—(Special.)—The Norfolk and Western has issued a
circular letter announcing the promotion of J. C. Cassell to be assistant
general manager L. E. Johnson; Charles S. Churchill to be chief engineer,
and Theo Lowe to be general real estate agent. Herman Crueger, who has been
in the service twenty-three years, has been prompted to the position of
chief clerk, to succeed Mr. Lowe.

----

Charles S.," born in New Britain Conn., Sept. 22, 1856; m. in
New Britain, Nov. 11, 1885, Anna D. Green, dau. of Robert C
of Pottsville, Peon.

Mr. Churchill was educated at New Haven and at Yale University, where he
graduated from the Sheffield Scientific School in 1878. Entered the
railway service as civil engineer in 1879, and has been engaged
continuously in that profession since, in the projection and
construction of some important lines in Connecticut, Pennsylvania and
Virginia, West Virginia and Ohio, and is at present (1904) chief
engineer of the Norfolk and Western R.R. Office at Roanoke, Va. The
family live at Roanoke, Va. Mr. Churchill is a member of the American
Society of Civil Engineers, and of other important railway and technical
societies.

Children.

1. Mary E., b. in Pottsville, Sept. 30, 1886.

2. Ethelind, b. in Roanoke, Va., Feb. 1, 1889.

3. Robert C., b. in Roanoke, Va., Oct. 20, 1890.

4. Helen E., b. in Roanoke, Va., Jan. 6, 1893.

The Churchill family in America
by Churchill, Gardner Asaph, 1839-1896; Churchill, Nathaniel Wiley,
1827-1903; Bodge, George M. (George Madison), 1841-1914

Publication date 1904
Topics Churchill family
Publisher [Boston] Pub. by the family of G.A. Churchill

https://archive.org/details/churchillfamilyi01chur

-----
The Railway Age, February 13, 1903  pg. 239

Mr. Charles S. Churchill, who was recently appointed chief engineer of the
Norfolk & Western, was born on September 22, 1856, at New Britain, Conn.,
and
is a graduate of the Sheffield Scientific School of Yale University. He
entered railway service in 1879 and was engaged for one year on surveying
projected railroads in Connecticut. He was then until 1881 engaged
on the construction of the Meadsville & Linesville, and from 1881 to
1884 was division engineer on location and construction of the Pittsburg
McKeesport & Youghiogheny. On January 1, 1884, was appointed principal
assistant engineer on construction of the Pennsylvania-Schuylkill Valley
division of the Pennsylvania Railroad, which position he held until May,
1887, when he became engineer of maintenance of way of the Shenandoah
Valley Railroad. In May, 1888, he was made engineer in charge of the Ohio
extension of the Norfolk & Western, and on October 1 of the same year was
appointed engineer of maintenance of way of that system, which position
he held until January 1 of the present year, when he was promoted to
chief engineer. Mr. Churchill, whose portrait is given herewith, is a member
of the American Society of Civil Engineers of the Engineers' Club of
Philadelphia and of the American Society of Testing Materials.

https://books.google.com/books?id=5VBBAQAAMAAJ&lpg=PA239&ots=yAtf7sUOlC&dq=%22Charles%20S.%20Churchill%22%20obituary&pg=PA239#v=onepage&q=%22Charles%20S.%20Churchill%22%20obituary&f=false

----
Charles Samuel Churchill

Birth: Sep. 20, 1857