4 Axle Question

Mon Sep 18 01:23:48 EDT 2017

Most of the North Carolina was also 4 Axle restricted. BUT.... From a
timetable I used to have from the early 80's showed that 6 Axle units where
allowed to Austinville where the huge lead and zinc mine was.  But From
Austinville to Galax and Fries was restricted to 4 axle units. I never saw a
six axle unit on the line anywhere, when I aged enough to know the
difference around the very early 1980's. In the very twilight of the branch.

I have seen photos of Y5 class locomotives in Galax, so I would be deferred
maintenance was the main issue, since the Gossan Iron Mines near Galax
closed in the early 60's.

Andy J