CTC Control Point

Tue Aug 15 17:46:51 EDT 2017

As the Division was put on TC one interlocking at a time, most sections'
control was centralized in a tower before being further centralized in
Bluefield, but my dates and timeline are fuzzy. Installation started
around WWII to increase traffic density. Similar to Eckman closing after
the North Fork realignment, Bluestone Tower (Bluestone west through
Maybeury, the branch to Pocahontas and the Bluestone Branch eventually
to Giatto) closed in 1950 with the Elkhorn (Tunnel) realignment, perhaps
making it the first board in Bluefield. TC from Bluestone east skipped a
tower and went straight to Bluefield in the mid-50's, presumably
including HQ Tower in Bluefield, Virginia. Ed has Tug closing in 1962
and Iaeger Tower held out into the 70's.

Who controlled what/when was a moving target, but signal numbers can
help indicate where control points were eventually assigned. Tug Tower
(originally) faced south, so eastward signals were lined by a lever
thrown to the left, westward to the right, thus eastward signal numbers
had a suffix "L", westward a suffix "R". Eckman to the east of Tug and
Iaeger Tower to the west both faced north, so their L(eft) and R(ight)
signal numbers were reversed per direction. The resulting signal numbers
would seem to indicate that Iaeger indeed had Wilmore to the east and
that Tug eventually extended west to Roderfield. Iaeger would expand
west to include Alnwick, beyond which Devon Tower picked up where the
signal numbers reversed again. These results synced with the
recollections of operators.

Grant Carpenter