Coal fired UP and range fires

Sun Jul 30 11:28:58 EDT 2017

Follow up on something I forgot regarding the Denver #4005. Trust me, that
engine is NOT in good shape. When it was moved into the spot it sat for
many years, there was a curve and in order to "make it fit" where it was
desired back in the 1960s, I was told the frame was torched or something
along those lines, to get it into the last 50 or 100 feet. Then again, it
has also been sitting uncovered, outdoors for all these years, subject to
wind, rain, freezing, etc. It might look nice but trust me is not. That is
a lesson the WM Scenic has sadly learned from the #1309 which sat out of
doors, unprotected all these years and available to all sorts of wind and
rain. What was it someone more recently stated regarding that: worn out and
put away wet?

Anyone who think the railroads gave away mint condition steam when
consigned to parks, when all they wanted to do was get rid of them is sadly
mistaken. SP torched the piston rods on #4460 and UP I was told did it to
the BIG Boy in Dallas, and the list can go on.

Oh, we lament why wasn't any of this or that class or railroad's engine
saved, but the larger ones were several thousand dollars in scrap steel,
never minding weighing many tons to go over local roads, and even back in
the 50s and 60s, not cheap to move.

Let's be glad for what WAS saved. Out of nearly a quarter-million steamers
which graced American rails from the 1820s until today, something less than
2,000 survive in one vegetative state or another.

Bob Cohen