N&W locomotive fuel coal

Thu Jul 20 18:57:33 EDT 2017

wrote:

> I am looking for the BTU content of the coal used by the N&W for road
> locomotive fuel. For example, the Union Pacific used fuel coal with 11,800
> BTU's per pound in their road locomotives. Using a general rule for
> comparing West Virginia coal to Wyoming coal, the N&W fuel coal should be
> at least one- third, or more, more volatile.  Any coal experts out there?
> Harold Davenport

​In the correspondence files in GOB East is a file #376, Fuel Coal,
covering material from 1904-1910 (it is in Box 11). I don't know if I will
make it to Roanoke on Saturday, but perhaps someone doing some archives
work could pull this to see what information is in the file (I've looked at
over 600 files in building an index to Johnson's correspondence; sorry, I
don't remember what is in all of them).

Bruce in Blacksburg
​