RE Scrap Metal Value of N&W Big Steam (NW Mailing List)

Mon Jun 5 18:02:35 EDT 2017

Do you know the time frame the 601 and 613 were scrapped?

Jack
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 4:16 PM
To: nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org

To follow up on what Ken Miller said, my father used to mention to us
that the average engine went for around $5K.  We saw a lot of them
headed to scrap here in Batavia, as they headed to Cincinnati (2
scrapyards on the west side).  We saw just about everything come
through here, except maybe a J.  I know 601 and 613 were torched at
Portsmouth.  Perhaps one that Ken mentioned getting weighed was one of
those two engines.  They were about the last J's to work out of
there.  "N&W In Transition" is a video we did a couple of years ago,
and it has a good selection of dead engines headed to scrap being
towed on the local to Clare.  I was a kid back then, but remember
seeing a lot of 2-8-8-2's among K class, S class, and even some Class
A engines like 1232, which happened to be on the last time freight
from Clare(Steam) in 1956.  It finished out in Portsmouth when
everything was dieselized on the west end.
Greg Scholl