Locomotive Info

Sat May 27 22:01:22 EDT 2017

If I recall, that is the locomotive that operates on batteries for 24hr per charge.  I was used in yard switching.

Kurt Kramke

 Subject: Locomotive Info
 Date: Saturday, May 27, 2017, 2:12 PM

 I rode the 611 Excursion this morning
 to Lynchburg and back to Roanoke and had a blast.

 As we were passing through the Roanoke Shops area, I
 noticed a strange looking Norfolk Southern locomotive.  I
 didn't have time to take a photo, but it was numbered
 999 and had a green cab roof.  Some one in car that I was
 riding said it was a battery-powered locomotive.

 That got my curiosity going.  Does any body have more
 information about this locomotive?  Is it battery-powered?
  Was it purpose-built?  Or was it put together using the
 carbody of a retired diesel locomotive?

 Thank you.

 Bill King