Reefer icing operations

Thu May 25 12:04:10 EDT 2017

To further Jim's list, this is from List No. 63, dated August 1, 1942. Some
slightly different details from a decade prior.

Columbus, Ohio
Clare, Ohio
Portsmouth, Ohio
Bluefield, WVa
Norton, Va
Bristol, Va-Tenn
Petersburg, Va - (Emergency) For re-icing delayed through shipments
received from, or delivered to, connections at Petersburg, Virginia
Roanoke, Va
Hagerstown, Md
Winston-Salem, NC (Emergency)
Crewe, Va
Norfolk, Va

Ice was used on locomotives, cabooses, work cars and diners as well. Now,
exactly how that was handled, I guess we'll never really know. I assume
that ice plants at these terminals with stations, provided ice that was
hauled to the cab supply track, and that was probably supplied to the
locomotives as well with their own small storage house. I would assume that
they would also supply the dining car department by trucking it from
Shaffers Crossing to the Commissary.

Since I am not totally aware of how the ice a/c worked (other than blowing
air across the blocks of ice) I don't honestly know if this is as Jerry
mentioned the New Orleans Club. But this photo is from October 1, 1956 with
the only title being "Icing No. 45 at Roanoke"

Since the photo shows, on the south side of the train, the ice wagon that
the dining car department used to carry ice and cold items to load onto the
cars, I would assume this was out of their supply. Obviously answers
Brent's question of how was it handled on other roads cars. In addition, I
am certain that over time, other roads cars that had ice a/c were through
Roanoke as well, on special moves, troop trains, etc.

Ken Miller

Moderator: