Reefer icing operations

Thu May 25 07:05:00 EDT 2017

Brent,

According to my copy of "List No. 68, Officers, Agents and Stations,"
issued October 1. 1952, N&W had "regular" icing stations at the following
locations:

Bluefield, WV - reicing application: Only for shipments moving to or from
connections at Norton, VA or St. Paul, VA, and other traffic originating at
points west of Roanoke, VA, or moving eastward to points west of Roanoke,
VA.

Bristol, VA

Clare, OH  - Reicing application: Oly for traffic moving eastbound.

Columbus, OH

Hagerstown, MD

Norfolk, VA - Reicing application: Shipments originating at Norfolk.
Through shipments delivered connections at Norfolk

Portsmouth, OH

Roanoke, VA

The following icing stations are listed as "emergency:"

Clare, OH - only for delayed westbound traffic or shipments originating
west of Portsmouth, OH

Durham, NC

Petersburg, VA

Winston-Salem, NC

A search of the VA Tech image base revealed the following:

https://imagebase.lib.vt.edu/search.php

Interestingly there is a photo of the platform at Crewe, VA, but it must
have been out of service by 1952.

Here is what the NWHS Archives lists in its collection:

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/selectdocs.php?index=s&id=49

Hope this helps.

Happy modeling.

Jim Brewer