Post-64 Head End Cars

Fri May 19 13:10:41 EDT 2017

Evan

There was a slide on ebay several months ago of the eastbound Arrow at Bluefield, 1968, I believe showing a boxcar on the rear.

I know that on occasion, that "hot" refrigerator cars would be put on the rear, like with strawberries to be dropped off at the Kroger warehouse at West Salem. My father worked the Salem Shifter at that time, and they had to wait, usually parked in the middle track until the car was dropped to get it spotted for Kroger to unload and distribute. He told me they would slow the passenger train, the brakeman would turn the angle cock, then pull the pin and let the car drop on its own. It was slow enough the emergency application on the reefer did not bash up the load. The shifter crew always was ready to go retrieve it and get it spotted right away.

Today, nothing comes to the Kroger warehouse by rail.

Ken Miller