Thu May 4 08:14:22 EDT 2017

Last night I had the honor of "Takin' Twenty" with seven of the Brethren
and Friends of the Virginian Railway. Frank Breedlove came in a little
late, and his unusual belt knife caught our attention.  The case was
attached directly, lengthwise over the belt.  Of course he was proud to
show us the new knife.  This caused immediate fumbling into pockets for
pocket-knives.  Landon brought out his "Old Henry" N&W safety knife and I
showed my Case XX, but ours didn't have Phillips head screwdrivers or
little lights!

 For Show and Tell I took the June "Trains" magazine for the Brethren to
peruse.  Page 10 has a Don Phillips article "Some groups do steam fan trips
right".  He praised our Roanoke Chapter car hosts on the 611 trains:  "By
far the best at this are the operators of Norfolk and Western No. 611,
partly because they don't allow people to open Dutch doors and hang out".
This made Landon Gregory and I proud as hosts on these excursions.

 I told the Brethren about this weekend's 611 trips from Lynchburg to
Petersburg.  If you are in the area, there should be some great photo
opportunities.

 We also talked about the recent purchase by Roanoke Chapter NRHS of the
former N&W "Pike County" B&B Circus car.  Plans are, if approved by Barnum
and Bailey, to display  this car at VMT for an event that will allow the
public to see what the circus uses to haul their entertainers,  Sorry this
was not an elephant car; even though I have heard it called a "monkey car".

 The Jewel from the Past is from October 1, 2009:  "Raymond East and I
stopped at his favorite 'watering hole', Hardy's Restaurant near Tanglewood
Mall.  I got a ham and egg biscuit and orange juice; he got a sausage and
egg biscuit, coffee and a straw.  I recalled wondering if  he was going to
drink that coffee through the straw, something I had never seen before.
What I saw next was even better.  He took the straw, and 'field dressed'
the inside of that biscuit 'to remove all of the cholesterol from it!'"

 Then there's this:  A father was reading a Bible story to his young son.
He read:  'The man named Lot was warned to take his wife and flee out of
the city, but his wife looked back and was turned into salt'.  His son
asked 'What happened to the flea?'

 Time to pull the pin on this one!

 Departing Now from V248,

 Skip Salmon