BH Tower, Walton: Thoughts on Mr. Gordon's Photo of thee CTC Machine

Sun Apr 30 14:26:55 EDT 2017

Abram,

Thanks for the insights.

Perhaps the caged device is a 2-channel audio power amplifier for the
two speakers?

The row above the code buttons can be for call-on signals, (maintainer)
call switches (more likely), and/or fleeting. If they are call switches
(toggle or button), the call-on buttons could be below the code buttons,
or vice-versa--makes me wonder if any two N&W machines had the same
panel layout. Fleeting could have been added with the move to Roanoke
and new boards.

If the center of the panel suggests the origin, the left panel may be
from Belspring, but I don't know the history of a tower there. Cowan
Tower was in a more strategic location and the structure lasted into the
late '70's, long after others were gone. However, it was a substantial
brick structure that may have survived as MofW storage.

Apparently, eastbounds "hit the bell" beyond Plum Creek back at Radford
station (?), a block west of Dry Branch (Eggleston?) and westbounds at
Pelton. And who knew Vicker Switch had so many switches?

Grant Carpenter