Abingdon branch passenger cars

Sat Apr 15 18:15:07 EDT 2017

Brent:  The passenger cars on the Abingdon branch changed from time to time, so it is best to work from photos.Coal stove, yes; but as far as the lights are concerned, all passenger cars were self contained. They had batteries and generators. So no need to replace electric lights. At one rime, at least, there was an RPO/Baggage with 4 wheel trucks (15' RPO apartment).
Jim Nichols

  While we are on the subject of passenger trains consists, I accidentally happened upon an old post (I think it was even on a different forum) from Ed King about the passenger cars that were used for the Abingdon Branch mixed train being dedicated to that service.  What were the numbers of the assigned cars?

I saw pictures some years ago of the interior of an otherwise modern car that had been retro-fitted back to oil lamps for lighting and a coal stove for heat, so it would make sense that such cars would remain on a particular assignment.

In some OWL photos of the branch in 1955, there are views that show a coach and they were taken from the open door of a baggage car (per the captions).  What class of baggage car was used?  I can't tell for sure, but it looks like it may have been a baggage/RPO.  Would "head end" equipment used in mixed train service also need to be modified and dedicated to that assignment?  (I would think an RPO might, not sure about a pure baggage car)

I want to model part of this line and would like to make things as accurate as possible.

Thanks,
Brent
Dr. J. Brent Greer