The Last RPO

Mon Mar 20 10:44:30 EDT 2017

I have many memories of the RPO service.  For 35 years, my father was an RPO clerk
on the PRR, New York to Pittsburg.  On occasion, he would take me to the "off limits"
location in Penn Station where clerks worked the mail on dedicated mail trains - only
'deadhead' passenger cars on mail trains, so no public access.

The last official RPO run was at night, Penn Station to Washington.  I worked near
Philly; had the wild idea to go to Penn Station that night and somehow talk my way
onto the final run, so there would be a "J. Crosson"  making the last run (my dad had
passed away a couple of years previous).  Didn't do it, and still wonder if I could have
been on board, New York to Philly.

I now volunteer at the St. Louis MOT - the mascot "Owney" is featured among the
kids' activities at the museum.  We have a couple of RPO cars - there is thought of
cleaning one up and providing public access to add to our visitor tours.

Jerome Crosson - NWHS member, formerly New Jersey, now St. Peters, MO.

 Message-----