Structures in N&W's Lamberts Point Yard

Tue Mar 14 17:29:40 EDT 2017

The rotary dumps also had the capability to "blend" the coal between the
two or four rotary dump units, besides changing the proportions by rolling
cars  from different tracks off the Barney Yard. The speeds of the individual
belts carrying the coal from under the rotary dumps thru the loaders to the
 holds of the ship being loaded could also be adjusted.  The Japs
absolutely  loved that, and provided N&W with a huge selling advantage over the
Massey  and C&O Piers on the other side of the Elizabeth River.

I've got pictures at our Smith Mountain Lake (SML) retirement  home.  But
we won't get back there until later this summer.  I also  recall having an
olde VHS video that my young son made ala the TV show  Middle/ Goldbergs for
school interviewing PierMaaster Bob Welch at the scales  and retarters. It
included clips of the Barneys, rolling cars off the hill, cars  in the
kickbacks, the belts and others.

Cheers.

Bill Browder

In a message dated 3/14/2017 11:43:26 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,